VTL3500 manage disk with LSI 8708EM2RAID card. If there is hot spare disk in system, plugging a disk in RAID group would cause RAID group degradation, at this time, hot spare disk would be added into this RAID group automatically and begin reconstruction. Reinsert the plugged disk (into original slot or a different slot), system would recognize Foreign configuration in this disk, this would cause RAID group cannot copy back automatically.
The method below is to remove Foreign configuration:
1. Plug disk and reinsert, system would recognize this disk is in status like below
2. Right click on this disk, select Change to Unconfiged Good and configure disk status into Unconfiged Good.
3. Right click on RAID card, select Scan For Foreign Configuration
4. Select Clear in interface popped up, please confirm that there is Foreign configuration only in this disk and click OK
5. Tick Confirm and select Yes
6. Clear configuration information succeeds.
LSI RAID card feature
This case is adaptive when replace hard disk and discover that there is original RAID group information, we can clear original configuration information according to this approach, and the disk would be recognized correctly.