How to install ATM network card under Soraris?
Type of network card: FORE PCA-200EUX/OC3
Operation System: Solaris 8
Work Station: SUN Ultra60
I. Hardware Installation
1. After switching off the work station, properly install the network card into a PCI slot;
2. Power on the work station, press STOP+A to stop the boot process until the prompt OK is displayed;
3. Input the command show-devs to display the system configuration. The device-pathname of FORE network card should be displayed in the configuration list and the form may be like:
4. The device is enabled with the media loopback and internal loopback test functions for examining whether the devices are in good shape and whether the installation is normal. According to our experiences, the internal loopback test is feasible. The methods are:
Input the command: test /pci@1f,2000/FORE,PCA-200E@2
The display of pass 0 indicates correct hardware and installation;
5. Input the command boot to start the system.
II. Software Installation
1. Root authority is required for software installation.
2. The support software for network card is normally provided with a .tar file, which can generate eight subdirectories under its directory after decompression, respectively,
FORECore ForeThought ATM Core Software
FOREDrv ForeThought ATM Card Drivers
FORESpans ForeThought SPANS Signalling Software
FOREUni ForeThought UNI Signalling Software
FOREclip ForeThought Classical IP Software
FOREip ForeThought FORE IP Software
FOREmpoa ForeThought MPOA / LAN Emulation Software
FORExti ForeThought XTI Application Programming Interface
3. For example, after decompression of the .tar file under the /home/FORE directory, the above-mentioned 8 subdirectories will appear under the directory. The programs to be used are located under the FOREDrv and FOREip. However, the modules are dependant on each other to some extent. Six modules need to be installed, namely the FORECore, FORESpans, FOREDrv, FOREip, FOREUni, and FOREclip. The installation process is described as follows:
> pkgadd -d /home/FORE
The following packages are available:
1 FORECore ForeThought ATM Core Software
2 FOREDrv ForeThought ATM Card Drivers
3 FORESpans ForeThought SPANS Signalling Software
4 FOREUni ForeThought UNI Signalling Software
5 FOREclip ForeThought Classical IP Software
6 FOREip ForeThought FORE IP Software
7 FOREmpoa ForeThought MPOA / LAN Emulation Software
8 FORExti ForeThought XTI Application Programming Interface
Select package(s) you wish to process (or \'all\' to process all packages).
(default: all) [?,??,q]:
Select the module to be installed and install the module as prompted.
4. The installed software is under the /opt/FOREatm /bin directory (that is, the directory with the configuration commands to be used)
III. Configuration of Network Card
1. Configuration of network interface name
Select Configure ip Module, and obtain an ip interface name, which is fa0 by default. Restart the work station, you can find the interface fa0 under /dev, and the device name of the network card is fatm0.
2. Query the hardware information of the device by >adinfo fatm0
Configure the device by >adconfig fatm0
Inquire about the device status by >adstat fatm0
These three commands are seldom used.
3. Configuration of the IP address of the interface
ifconfig fa0 netmask broadcast up
4. Configuration of IPOA
atmarp -s hostname device vpi vci aal encapsulation (configuration of outgoing PVC)
atmarp -l device vpi vci aal encapsulation (configuration of incoming PVC)
E.g.: the pvc distributed to the work station is vpi 0 vci 150
The IPOA address of the work station is 22.214.171.124
The IPOA address of the MUSA device is 126.96.36.199
AAL type is 5
encapsulation is llc_routed
>atmarp -s 188.8.131.52 fa0 0 150 5 llc_routed
>atmarp -l fa0 0 150 5 llc_routed
[The following shall be done on the MUSA device: add nms, act nms, add route, add atm arp, and add ipaccess]
If >ping 184.108.40.206 is pinged, the configuration is successful.