Step 1 Configure the connections between the SMS modem and the VSM server.
1. Insert the GSM SIM card into the GSM Modem.
2. Connect the serial cable of the Modem to the serial port COM1 of the VSM server.
3. Power on the modem.
4. Configure the serial port on the VSM Server using the HyperTerminal.
The following figures show the parameter settings.
5. Run the AT command to check the operation status of the SMS modem.
If the output message is OK, the SMS modem works normally.
6. Run the AT CSQ command to check the signal intensity of the SMS modem.
The output message is CSQ: 23.0. If the CSQ value is within the range from 11 to 31, the signal intensity of the SMS modem is normal.
7. Run the AT CREG? command to check whether the SMS modem is registered with the network.
If the output message is CREG: 0, 1, the modem is successfully registered with the network.
Step 2 Set parameters for the VSM to send remote notifications using the SMS modem.
1. Choose Fault > Settings > Remote Notification from the main menu.
2. In the Remote Notification window, click Setting in the lower left part, and then choose Communication Settings.
3. In the Communication Settings dialog box, Click Add.
4. In the Add a Communication Parameter Setting dialog box, set the name to message and select GSM Modem as the sending device. Click Next.
5. Set the sending point parameters in the dialog box that is displayed, and select Enable.
6. Click Test on Server and click Yes in the Confirm dialog box.
7. Enter a phone number to receive the testing message in the SMS Notification Test dialog box and click Test.
l Add the prefix 86 in front of the entered number.
l When multiple numbers are required, use a semicolon (;) to separate adjacent numbers.
8. After the test is complete, click OK in the dialog box that is displayed.
Step 3 Create remote alarm notification rules
1. In the Remote Notification window, click Add, and then choose Alarm Notification Rule.
2. On the Basic Setting tab of the Add Remote Notification Rule dialog box, set the parameters such as Alarm name and Severity.
3. Click the Alarm Source tab, select All objects, and then select all NEs or select Custom to set alarm sources by NE or NE type. Click Next.
4. In the dialog box that is displayed, set the notification time, time segment, and time zone. Click Next.
5. In the dialog box that is displayed, set the email address or SMS number.
To instantly enable the rule, select Enable. In the Remote Notification window, you can select or deselect Enable of this record, and then click Apply to save the setting.
6. Click Finish.