Because of some reasons, we need to reinstall the Backup Server, the original backup information and License information have lost.
The main configurations of the Backup Exec are saved in the following three files and catalogs:
<Root>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data catalog
<Root>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs catalog
<Root>:\Windows\Besernum.xml has saved the License information
1. Stop the service of the SQL Server;
2. Open the installation catalog of the Backup Exec, the default location is “C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec”. Replicate the “Data” and “Catalog” catalogs to a temporary catalog;
3. Copy the “Besernum.xml” file to the temporary catalog;
4. Delete the “Backup Exec” via the “add or delete program”;
5. Restart the server, and reinstall the Backup Exec. In the process, add the License via the “Besernum.xml” saved in the 3rd step.
6. Stop the service of the SQL server;
7. Revive the “Data” and “Catalog” catalog from the temporary catalog;
8. Start all the services of the Backup Exec.
The backup information and License information are saved in some certain catalog and files, while reinstalling the Backup Exec, we will delete these catalog and files while deleting the software. So we need to make backup of these information before implementing the reinstallation.
1. After have finished installation and configuration, make a backup of the “Besernum.xm” file so that we can save the License information;
2. While operating the Backup Exec which has been configured well, you’d better make backup of the “Catalog” and “Data” catalog, and also the “Besernum.xm” file.