The configuration files for the platform and common components in the environment of Windows on N2000 contain the host name given during N2000 installation. When the NM server modifies the host name, the processes of the NMS, including EmfSysMoniDm, cannot be started after the system is restarted. (It is applicable to the version BMSV2R9 or earlier versions, the version UMSV2R8 or earlier versions, and Windows 2000 Server and SQL2000 Server.)
Then how to change the host name of the NM server in the environment of Windows?
1. Stop the network management processes and SQL database in the correct sequence.
2. Right-click My Computer, select Properties, and change the computer name in Network ID.
3. Restart the computer as prompted.
4. The database can be started normally after restart. Log in to the database by running the command >isql -Usa ?Ppassword, but you cannot log in to the database by running >isql -Usa -Ppassword -SN2000DBServer.
5. Choose Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server > Practical Tools for Client Network > Alias. Click Connection Parameter and change the server name of the N2000DBServer to the current computer name.
Log in to the database by running >isql -Usa -Ppassword -SN2000DBServer.
6. Create another alias, and select Multiprotocol. The server alias is the computer name before modification and the server name under the Connection Parameters is the current server name. (In this way, the original computer name in the configuration files under n2000\server\conf is not modified.)
7. Choose Control Panel > ManagementTools > Data Source (ODBC). Edit the properties of various data sources in the system DSN, modify the original computer name parameter to the current computer name parameter, and click Next as prompted until the test data source is successfully connected.
8. The N2000 NMS starts automatically upon restart of the computer. If you do not want to restart the computer, you can restart the service by selecting iMap Sysmonitor Service in the services listed in Control Panel > Management Tools.
9. The computer name in the environment of Windows is now successfully changed.
In terms of Item 6 listed above, you can choose not to create the alias, but to change the server parameters contained in various configuration files under n2000\server\conf to the new host name or N2000DBServer. Open the n2000\server\conf folder, click Search, and enter the original host name in Words Contained to find out the configuration files needing to be modified. It is unnecessary to modify log files.
The technical proposal, Proposal for Change of Server Name to N2000DBServer in the Configuration Files for the Platform and Common Components in the Windows Environment on the N2000 NMS, has been submitted. According to the proposal, the contents of the configuration files have been modified essentially. Thus the maintainability of the N2000 server can be enhanced.