Networking: NE80E ------- EPON device
The NE80E and the EPON device attached to the NE80E are interconnected through the Layer 2 Eth-Trunk interface, which terminates the Layer 2 data of EPON users. On the NE80E, port trunking is realized by using the ports on boards 1 and 10.
Symptom of the fault:
EPON users report packet loss. From the NE80E device, the NM address of the EPON device cannot be successfully pinged. Services run normally after the ports on board 10 are shut down.
1. Ping the NM address of the EPON device from the NE80E. When the address cannot be successfully pinged, the statistics about the CRC error and the jump error packets are found on the ports of board 10. It is thus deduced that the fault is caused by the link problem.
2. Test the optical power of the line. It is found that the optical power is normal. Switch the services from the ports of board10 to other ports of board 1. In this case, the services run normally, and there are no error packets. Thus, the lines and the EPON device cannot be faulty.
3. Switch the services to another optical module connecting to board 10. The fault persists. Check the module type under slot 10 and the module type under slot 1. It is found that the module types are different. Insert the module under slot 1 into slot 10. The problem is solved.
Later on, it is found that the optical module under board10 was purchased from the third-party vendor instead of Huawei during board capacity expansion.
1. The lines to the ports on board 10 are faulty.
2. There is something with port trunking of the EPON device.
3. The ports of the NE80E are faulty, which is the cause of the fault in this case.
The use of third-party modules not authenticated by Huawei may cause packet loss or ping failure.