Storage device: one S5100 controller enclosure, three D200 disk enclosures, ninety-six 750 GB hard disks, and controller software B031
Linux server: AS 4 update 5 x 86 2.6.9-55.Elsmp iscsi-initiator-utils-18.104.22.168-5
2. Network overview (for details, refer to the network in the attachment)
Thirty 2 TB LUNs are configured on the S5100 and mapped to the Linux server.
3. After the LUNs are configured, the ext3 file system is used to format the LUNs. The formatting speed is slow. During the formatting, pinging the service network ports on the S5100 has a short latency (shorter than 0.1 second) and high accuracy.
Even though you run the mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1 command to stop the mkfs process, the system still displays the alarm information continuously.
Step 1 Connect the Linux server to the S5100 directly without a switch. Run the mkfs command to judge that the switch causes the fault.
Step 2 Check the rates of all service network ports by using the ethtool. The eight service network ports on controllers A and B are 1000 Mbit/s, but the service network port on the Linux server is 100 Mbit/s
Step 3 Check the switch configuration. The ports on the switch that are connected to the S5100 are properly bound. The rate of the 19th port on the switch is set to 100 Mbit/s.
Step 4 Change the rate of the 19th port on the switch to auto-adaptive. After the Linux server (the network adapter is 1000/100 Mbit/s auto-adaptive) is connected, the ports on the Linux server that are connected to the S5100 automatically changes to 1000 Mbit/s.
Step 5 The mkfs.ext3 file system is tested without problems. Formatting a 2 TB LUN takes about five minutes. The fault is removed.
1. The rates of the service network ports on the storage device and the Linux server are inconsistent. The rate of the 19th port on the switch is inaccurately set 100 Mbit/s. The rate becomes a performance bottleneck.
2. Huawei Symantec storage devices require that the rates of the host server and service network port are consistent.
(1) When a GE switch is used, the rates of the service network ports on the storage device and the Linux server are 1000 Mbit/s.
(2) When a FE switch is used, the rates of the service network ports on the storage device and the Linux server are 100 Mbit/s and the rate of the service network port must be manually set to 100 Mbit/s by using the ethtool. (An FE switch is not recommended.)
If a mounting fault is located when the Linux server is mounted on the S5100, it is recommended to remove the switch and directly connect the server to the S5100 with one network cable, quickly locating the fault scale.