There are two application versions of Microsoft Hyper-v. One is Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-v, which is to deploy Hyper-v on Windows Server 2008; the other is Microsoft Hyper-v Server 2008, and that is to deploy Hyper-v Server on the bare machine. This issue is encountered on Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-v.
After a new virtual machine had been created on the Hyper-v, and it was turned on for OS installing, we got the error message showed below.
1) For the hardware-assisted reason, turn on the related options (virtualization support and data execution protection) in BIOS system of the host machine.
2) For the Hypervisor service reason, execute the command “BCDEdit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto” in the cmd console of the host system.
1) The hardware of the host machine does not support virtualization (The BIOS option is off on default status).
2) The hardware-assisted data execution protection of the host machine is not enabled.
3) Hypervisor service is not running on the host system.
4) It is most likely to be the first reason.
1) It is not quite efficient to deploy Hyper-v on Windows Server 2008 system. Although such application is adopted by some of our customers, it is not recommended.