The storage powers outage when VTL server runs deleting repetitious data, deleting repetitious data is error. After the storage powering on, make backup, one of the tapes cannot be load by drive., find there are two tapes in one slot via navigation tree of VTL controller bench.
Details as follow:
1. On navigation tree of VTL controller bench, choose ‘VTL system>delete repetitious data strategy’, then choose detail strategy, click ‘event log page’ on the right area to check the error information.
2. On navigation tree of NetBackup controller bench, choose ‘Mctivity Monitor’, find backup is on waiting state.
3. On navigation tree of VTL controller bench, choose ‘VTL system>VTL’, find the drive has not load any tape.
4. On navigation tree of VTL controller bench, choose ‘VTL system>VTL>tape’, find there are two tapes in the same slot. Click ‘general page’ in the right area to check the distribute type of the tapes. If the type is ‘virtual tape’, the data in the tape is original data. If the type is ‘virtual tape( mixed VTL)’, there is original data and foretime virtual index. If the type is ‘virtual tape(pure VTL)’, it is virtual index in the tape.
On navigation tree of VTL controller bench, choose ‘VTL system>VTL>tape’, check the medium type of the tape. Delete the tapes whose type is ‘SIRXXX’, XXX is number, these tapes are created by SIR server when deleting.
Right-click ‘VTL server>options>repetitious delete>reclaim>begin to reclaim space’, to reclaim the data in SIR storage space before the delete operation cut
Suppose that virtual ID of the tape on which run deleting repetitious data is 28, the data is original data, the process to delete repetitious data is as follow:
VTL server creates a new tape to store index, suppose its virtual ID is 29.
SIR server loads tape 28 and 29, begin to scan tape 28.
In the process of scanning, SIR server store the repetitious data index in tape 29, store blocks produced by deleting repetitious data in SIR storage space.
Modify distribute type of tape 29 to VIT after SIR server finishing scanning.
VIR server exchanges virtual ID of tape 28 and tape 29. After that, tape 28 is VIT, to store index, tape 29 is to delete repetitious data, to store original data.
Move tape 29 to virtual storage.
Delete tape 29 and finish deleting.
If the storage powers outage in the process of deleting, the delete operation will fail. At that time, the tape storing repetitious data is not deleted, the new index tape is not deleted, too. If tape 28 and tape 29 are in the same slot, when making backup, the drive cannot decide to load which one.
The possible reasons are as follow:
1. Storage powers outage when scanning tape 28.
2. Storage powers outage when exchanging tape 28 and 29.