VTL3500 uses LSI 8708EM2RAID card to manage disk. If there is no hot spare disk in system, the RAID group will degrade when we pull out a disk in RAID group. Then we insert the disk which has been pulled out (we can insert into the original slot or the different slot), the system will recognize this disk has Foreign configuration.
If we want to make the disk into the original RAID group, we can use these methods as below:
1. Pull out the disk then insert in, the system recognizes this disk is Unconfigured Bad.
2. Right-click this disk, choose “Change to Unconfiged Good”, change the disk state to Unconfigured Good.
3. Right-click RAID card, choose “Scan For Foreign Configuration”.
4. Choose Import in the popping page, please notice that there is only this disk have Foreign configuration, click OK.
5. The system’s RAID configuration will be showed in this page after import this configuration, we can see that the disk is into the original RAID group again, click Accept.
6. Click Yes to ensure transferring configuration.
7. Pop warning, shows that transferring successfully.
In this time, the disk transfer RAID group has finished and starts to reconstruct automatically.
For the situation that the hard disk in RAID group is offline in logic, RAID card will recognize this hard disk is unavailable. We need to try to recover to ensure if it’s the real fault.