The storage power outage when VTL server deleting repeated data, it stops because there are errors in deleting repeated data. The storage device get power again, run backup, there is a disk can’t be load by driver. We find there are two disks be in the same slot in VTL console navigation.
The phenomenon is as below:
1. In VTL console navigation, choose “visual tape library system> repeat delete policy”, then choose the frondose policy, click the “event log label” in the right operating area, examine the error information.
2. In NetBackup console navigation, choose “Mctivity Monitor”, examine the backup in Waiting state.
3. In VTL console navigation, choose “visual tape library system > visual tape library”, examine that the driver hasn’t loaded any tape.
4. In VTL console navigation, choose “visual tape library system > visual tape library > tape”, we find the slot numbers of two disks are same. Click the “common label” in right operating area to examine the distribution type of tape. If the distribution type is “visual tape”, the data in tape is the original data; If the distribution type is “visual tape (mix VIT)”, there are original data and visual index in tape. If the distribution type is “visual tape (the pure VIT)”, the data in tape is visual index.
1. In VTL console navigation, choose “visual tape library > visual tape library > tape”, examine the medium type of tape.
2. Delete the tape which medium type is “SIRXXX”, XXX is the serial number, the tape in this medium type is the tape created by SIR server during deleting repeated data.
3. Right click “VTL server > option > repeat delete > recycle > start space recycle”, recycle the data stored in the SIR data storage space before the deleting repeated data break off.
We suppose the visual ID of the tape deleting the repeated data is 28, named tape 28, its data is original data, the process of deleting repeated data is as below:
1. VTL sever creates a new tape to storage index, suppose the visual ID is 29, named tape 29.
2. SIR server loads the tape 28 and tape 29, and begin to scan tape 28.
3. During the SIR server scanning, the index from the deleting repeated data will be stored in tape 29, and the different data block from the deleting repeated data will be stored in SIR data storage space.
4. After the SIR server finish scanning, the distribution of tape 29 will be changed to VIT(visual index tape).
5. VTL server change the visual ID of tape 28 and tape 29. After changing, tape 28 is VIT, the tape to store index; tape 29 is the tape to delete repeated data, the tape to store original data.
6. Move the tape 29 to visual storage.
7. Delete tape 29, the deleting repeated data finished.
The storage power outage when VTL server deleting repeated data, it stops because there are errors in deleting repeated data. In this time, the tape to delete repeated data hasn’t been deleted, the new tape to store index will not be deleted too. If these two tapes are in the same slot, we run backup, if the machine arm catches the tape in this slot to store the copy data, the driver will not sure to load which tape.
The reason of failing in backup may be these as below, we need to examine:
The storage device power outage during scanning tape 28, or the storage device power outage during the changing of tape 28 and tape 29.