Hardware configuration: one RH2285, 1078 RAID card, 3x1TB SATA hard disk, 2 disks is raid1 for installation of OS.
Software edition: win2k3 sp2 64 bit.
Problem symptom: customer install win2k3 sp2 64 bit through ghost, there is no hard disk when system partition, then server reboot and screen is black, cursor flash, as in figure 1:
figure 1 cannot start system
• Conclusion: if there is no 1078 card driver, os cannot be installed.
There are two ways to install windows system (win2k3, win2k8) normally:
1. With service CD, guide through service CD and install win2k3.
2. Without service CD, load raid card driver through floppy driver, then install win2k3.
1. Guide customer to install service CD firstly, and then install os.
2. After installation succeed, sever can enter os after reboot, the problem is solved.
Root cause analysis: the way of installing win2k3 OS is not correct without guide of service CD, which cause 1078 card driver not installed correctly. After instruct customer to guide installation through service CD, reinstall win2k3 with system ISO mirror file.
• Experience summarization:
Before install ws2k3-r2-ent-enu-sp2-cd1.iso、ws2k3-r2-ent-x64-enu-sp2-cd1.iso、ws2k8-r2-ent-x64-enu-sp2-cd1.iso、ws2k8-r2-ent-enu-sp2-cd1.iso， raid card driver must be installed through service CD or virtual floppy driver to load drivers, then install operating system.