1. Check the baseboard management controller (BMC) system status of the board (focusing on power alarms). No hardware alarm is found.
2. View the system event log. No hardware alarm is found; however, it is found that the board is powered off regularly, that is, the interval for restarting the board is about one hour.
3. The Oracle database service runs on the board. Check whether the timing task of the service is triggered. Exit the Oracle software. No service runs on the board. An hour later, the board automatically shuts down. Therefore, the Oracle service has no impact on the board.
4. Check whether the board shuts down due to abnormal basic input output system (BIOS) energy saving parameters and power options of the operating system (OS). In the BIOS, set Advanced > CPU Configuration > Intel(R) TurboMode tech and Advanced > Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) tech to Disabled, and set Advanced > ACPI Configuration > ACPI Version Features to ACPI v2.0. After running for an hour, the board shuts down. Therefore, the energy saving function has no impact on the board.
5. View the time difference between the BMC and the board OS, and obtain the board OS time based on the time that the system reboot log is generated.
6. Based on the obtained board OS time, view Windows event logs including the System and Application logs in the level sequence of Error, Warning, and Information.
7. In the System log, no log that triggers system shutdown is found, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 System logs
8. In the Application log, valid information is captured, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2 Application logs
9. Query the Windows Licensing Monitoring Service (WLMS) in the OS service. The WLMS monitors the status (valid or invalid) of the serial number of the current system. If the serial number is invalid, the system shuts down every an hour. See Figure 3.
Figure 3 WLMS service
10. For a cracked Windows 2008, service items do not include the WLMS service. Therefore, the cracked Windows 2008 does not shut down every an hour.
11. For a genuine Windows 2008, the WLMS service cannot be manually ended. If the service is ended, the system immediately shuts down. Therefore, buy the formal serial number to reactivate the system.