Product and version information:
The insufficient of VTL cache causes the deduplication job fail. The following information is displayed in a log that is from the actual site.
Events in Error: Jul 1 07:02:05 VTL1 ipstorcomm:
IPSTOR||1341136925||E||0x0000c552||Policy %1, Tape [%2] scan failed to start: %3.||Deduplication vtl1||V00163L4||Local I/O error
Events in Error: Jul 1 07:02:06 VTL1 ipstorcomm: IPSTOR||1341136926||E||0x00002dbb||failed to create resources||root||1||Virtual Tape||Not enough space
Jul 1 07:00:41 VTL1 rdecli [rde.c:loadSirDrive:7090]: Fail to create destination tape for VIT in drive 15
Jul 1 07:00:41 VTL1 rdecli [rde.c:loadSirDrive:7153]: Failed to put tape (ID 10000081) in drive for policy "Deduplication vtl1". error=-1
Jul 1 07:00:41 VTL1 ipstorcomm: IPSTOR||1341136841||E||0x0000c552||Policy %1, Tape [%2] scan failed to start: %3.||Deduplication vtl1||V00081L4||Local I/O error
1. Log in to the backup software. Check whether an expired tape exists or manually make some tapes that save unimportant data to expire. Delete expired tapes and record the barcodes of expired tapes.
2. Log in to the VTL Console, find expired tapes according the barcode and then delete them.
3. Click the name of a server. In the general area, check the VTL disk space usage. When the free space (green part in the pie chart) of the VTL becomes 600 GB to 800 GB, manually start a deduplication job.
4. Restart executing deduplication, check if the system is running successfully.
5. If an error if reported, please contact the engineer.
When a VTL executes deduplication, a tape is created to save the index information of a deduplication tape. The capacity of this tape is the same as that of the deduplication tape. After deduplication of this tape is complete, barcodes are exchanged between the original tape and temporary tape. After the barcode exchange, the temporary tape is automatically deleted.
According to log analysis, the deduplication fails because the cache is used up. No sufficient space can be used to create a temporary deduplication tape. Therefore, an error is reported indicating that the deduplication fails.
You are advised to add a newly created tape to a deduplication job. Otherwise, deduplication of some tapes cannot be executed. After the cache is used up, a deduplication job cannot be executed.