During deduplication, the storage device accidentally powers off. On the VTL Console, an operation error is reported and the deduplication progress stops. After you power on the storage device again and use NetBackup to run a backup job, a tape is identified Unknown by backup software and is inaccessible.
1. On the VTL Console, check whether the VIT created during deduplication exists in Vault.
If yes, go to 2.
If no, keep the application environment unchanged and seek technical support.
2. Delete the VIT.
3. Check whether a VIT exists in SIR Drive.
If yes, go to 4.
If no, go to 5.
4. Move the VIT to Vault and delete the VIT. Proceed to 5.
5. On the NetBackup Console, unfreeze the frozen tapes and implement Inventory again.
6. Run a backup job and check whether an Unknown tape exists.
If yes, keep the application environment unchanged and seek technical support.
If no, the fault is rectified.
The possible cause of this failure is that the data protection mechanism of NetBackup freezes the tape.
When the storage device powers off during deduplication, the deduplication operation stops but the source tape and virtual index tape (VIT) are not deleted. The data protection mechanism of NetBackup freezes the suspicious source tape. The data on the frozen source tape is intact and can be used by backup software for recovery.