1. Log in to the ESDP website to apply for a license.
2. Log in to the NMS server to query the Veritas version.
Log in to the Linux operating system as the root user.
Run the rpm -qa | grep VRTSvcs command to query the Veritas version.
In VRTSvcs-6.1.1.000-SLES11, 6.1 is the version number.
3. Activate the license.
Run the following command to switch to the directory where the vxlicinst file is stored:
# cd /opt/VRTS/bin
Run the following command to update the Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) license:
The following information is displayed:
Symantec License Manager vxlicinst utility version 3.02.33.0
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.
Enter your license key :
4. Enter the new license (for example, XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-X) and press Enter.
In the format, X indicates a letter or digit in the license key.
Information about the demo or formal license that is newly applied for is contained in the license file.
A total of six newly applied licenses exist in the key.txt file without taking sequence into consideration. You can import three licenses for the active and standby servers, respectively.
5. Repeat step 4 and enter the second license as prompted.
6. Repeat step 4 and enter the third license as prompted.
7. Run the following commands and verify that the updated license takes effect:
# cd /opt/VRTS/bin
# vxlicrep | grep "License Key"
Check whether the current license file contains the contents in the key.txt file. If so, the updated license file takes effect.
8. Run the following commands to stop the VCS service:
# cd /opt/VRTSvcs/bin
# hastop -local -force
9. Run the following command to verify that the VCS service is stopped:
# ps -ef|grep had
Information similar to the following is displayed:
root 27663 17299 0 00:31:00 pts/2 0:00 grep had
If the had and hadshadow processes cannot be found, the VCS service is properly stopped; otherwise, run the kill -9 process ID command to stop the processes.
10. Run the following commands to restart the operating system:
# shutdown -r now
11. After the standby server is restarted, perform an active/standby switchover and repeat the preceding steps on the original active server to replace the Veritas license on the active server.
13. After the license is replaced on the active server, perform an active/standby switchover again.
The Veritas license after April 2018 has the following changes:
In the 6.1 version, there are three records in the key.txt file, which are imported both to the active and standby servers.
In the 7.1 version, there is only one record in the key.txt file, which is imported both to the active and standby servers.